1999 Civic - Mystery

Discussion in 'Civic' started by Inthebuff-allo, Jan 12, 2004.

1. I am having an issue with my 1999 Civic. The engine is well maintained at 130,000 miles, I am the original owner, and take imaculate care of this vehicle.

On a business trip last week, my temp gauge rocketed to about 3/4 upon starting the car. No overheat, but the gauge never moved in the last 5 years. I put on the heat full blair and it settled to about halfway, allowing me to drive to my dealer. If I had not done at least this, I suspect I would have overheated quickly.

Dealer checked it out, did a pressure test which came back fine, told me it was the thermostat which I suspected. Fan Switch was fine and fan operated normally. The replaced the thermostat and flush and filled the radiator. This was 4 days ago. Since then the car has been fine at all speeds, with the heat, on, off , etc. (I obviously have not needed to keep the heat on full to pull heat from the engine since it was fixed.

Now today, the temp gauge started to jump again. Any ideas? Obviously, my concern is the head gasket, but considering there is no coolant loss, and a pressure test has been performed, that should have been noticed immediatly if it was the case, no?

Any advice would be most appreciated before I return to the dealer.

Inthebuff-allo, Jan 12, 2004
  2. It sounds to me like the temperature of the coolant never actually got very
    high. You said yourself that right after you started your car it was at
    3/4. Well if the car wasn't running previous then I guess that would tell
    me right there I had some sort of electrical problem as opposed to an actual
    temperature problem

CaptainKrunch
    130,000 miles, I am the original owner, and take imaculate care of this
    vehicle.
    starting the car. No overheat, but the gauge never moved in the last 5
    years. I put on the heat full blair and it settled to about halfway,
    allowing me to drive to my dealer. If I had not done at least this, I
    suspect I would have overheated quickly.
    it was the thermostat which I suspected. Fan Switch was fine and fan
    operated normally. The replaced the thermostat and flush and filled the
    radiator. This was 4 days ago. Since then the car has been fine at all
    speeds, with the heat, on, off , etc. (I obviously have not needed to keep
    the heat on full to pull heat from the engine since it was fixed.
    concern is the head gasket, but considering there is no coolant loss, and a
    pressure test has been performed, that should have been noticed immediatly
    if it was the case, no?

CaptainKrunch, Jan 12, 2004
  3. It was just started, but not cold. I had driven
    it 200 miles to an appointment. After my appointment of about 30 minutes, is when I restated the car and this occured. On the way there it was fine.

4. If you have plenty of fluid in the system the next item that is suspect is
    the thermostat. This would be about the time for it to go bad. Fairly cheap
    and easy fix. wolf.
    is when I restated the car and this occured. On the way there it was fine.

Wolfgang Bley, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Inthebuff-allo

Mista Bone Guest

has anything else ever been done to the motor?

Might wanna check out the grounds on the thermostat housing.
    That or the sensor is going out.

130,000 miles, I am the original owner, and take imaculate care of this
    vehicle.
    starting the car. No overheat, but the gauge never moved in the last 5
    years. I put on the heat full blair and it settled to about halfway,
    allowing me to drive to my dealer. If I had not done at least this, I
    suspect I would have overheated quickly.
    it was the thermostat which I suspected. Fan Switch was fine and fan
    operated normally. The replaced the thermostat and flush and filled the
    radiator. This was 4 days ago. Since then the car has been fine at all
    speeds, with the heat, on, off , etc. (I obviously have not needed to keep
    the heat on full to pull heat from the engine since it was fixed.
    concern is the head gasket, but considering there is no coolant loss, and a
    pressure test has been performed, that should have been noticed immediatly
    if it was the case, no?

Mista Bone, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Inthebuff-allo

Ray Guest

I think that the key is you said the car did not overheat just temp
    guage rose rapidly to high

I would replace the fan switch located on the thermostat housing these
    are known to go bad --- once they go your fan will not turn on

I would hot wire the passenger side fan just to confirm it works
    next confirm that the drivers side goes on when the AC goes on
    hint any sign of overheating put on the AC because the drivers side
    fan will go on.

lastly check the radiator for holes honda radiators suck plastic +
    aluminum once they go you can not repair

Ray, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Update. I took the car Back to the dealer. They went over it again. This time they did confirm that they missed a small leak in the head gasket. All fans and electrical components were operational. They told me the spark plug around the second clylinder had been stained by the coolant leak, and that there was some bubbling in the coolant. They said that it was so slight they did not pick it up. Thy did make a mistake but since its about 10 degrees in buffalo and they didn't go over the car as well as they could have, I see how this could have happened. They are giving me credit for the thermostat job on the invoice for this repair, and estimated $1000, as they feel that it is my best interest to replace the radiator as well, as it was quite heavy due to build up. So, for the head gasket and a new radiator and labor, about $1000. I expected more but they said they are using coupons and discounts to keep it to about $1000, as I am a good loyal customer and they feel badly about the trouble. I have always had a good relationship with this dealer, so hopefully this is accurate. My salesmen who has sold me 4 Hondas told me that this engine should go another 130,000 miles with the repair, and allthough this is odd, it does sometimes happen to this engine. Out of curiosity I got a quote from another shop for a similar job, and the quote was $1300+. Any opinions? I am not ignorant to automobiles, I know my share, and this sounds reasonable for this job. But maybe you all know something I don't. I just hate to toss a car that can do even another 50k for $1000, knowing It's worth more to me being on company milage that it would be at trade or sold with a blown gasket. Other than this the car is perfect. New brakes, tires, beautiful paint and interior.

8. Update. I took the car Back to the dealer. They went over it again. This time they did confirm that they missed a small leak in the head gasket. All fans and electrical components were operational. They told me the spark plug around the second clylinder had been stained by the coolant leak, and that there was some bubbling in the coolant. They said that it was so slight they did not pick it up. Thy did make a mistake but since its about 10 degrees in buffalo and they didn't go over the car as well as they could have, I see how this could have happened. They are giving me credit for the thermostat job on the invoice for this repair, and estimated $1000, as they feel that it is my best interest to replace the radiator as well, as it was quite heavy due to build up. So, for the head gasket and a new radiator and labor, about $1000. I expected more but they said they are using coupons and discounts to keep it to about $1000, as I am a good loyal customer and they feel badly about the trouble. I have always had a good relationship with this dealer, so hopefully this is accurate. My salesmen who has sold me 4 Hondas told me that this engine should go another 130,000 miles with the repair, and allthough this is odd, it does sometimes happen to this engine. Out of curiosity I got a quote from another shop for a similar job, and the quote was $1300+. Any opinions? I am not ignorant to automobiles, I know my share, and this sounds reasonable for this job. But maybe you all know something I don't. I just hate to toss a car that can do even another 50k for $1000, knowing It's worth more to me being on company milage that it would be at trade or sold with a blown gasket. Other than this the car is perfect. New brakes, tires, beautiful paint and interior.

Post 5 of 7 Topic 6006 of 6020

7 Posts in Topic:
    1999 Civic - Mystery "Inthebuff-allo" <> 2004-01-11 18:23:26
    Re: 1999 Civic - Mystery "CaptainKrunch" <> 2004-01-11 17:01:38
    Re: 1999 Civic - Mystery "Inthebuff-allo" <> 2004-01-11 19:54:37
    Re: 1999 Civic - Mystery "Wolfgang Bley" <> 2004-01-12 02:41:45
    Re: 1999 Civic - Mystery "Inthebuff-allo" <> 2004-01-12 16:01:46
    Re: 1999 Civic - Mystery "Mista Bone" <> 2004-01-12 08:48:24
    Re: 1999 Civic - Mystery (Ray) 2004-01-12 09:55:10

Post A Reply:

Subject: *
    Comments: *