2003-2004 Auto Trans Problems I4 vs V6

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by G.R. Aydelotte, May 11, 2004.

1. Shopping for an 04 Accord EX Leather I4 with auto trans. I've been
    reading about the recall on 2000-2001 auto trans, but have also seen
    posts here about problems with newer Accords with V6 engines having
    auto trans problems. Are the auto trans on 03-04 Accords the same for
    I4 and V6 the same? If so, is it possibly a matter of too much power
    from the V6 for the trans?

TIA,
    Gregg 91 Accord EX Wagon totaled

G.R. Aydelotte, May 11, 2004
  2. G.R. Aydelotte

LBJGH Guest

From Honda Canada:

The 5-speed automatic transmission used in V6 Accord models is different from the one in 4-cylinder models. This wide ratio transmission's lower gears provide quick acceleration while the tall top gear ratios result in low cruising rpm levels for reduced noise and lower fuel consumption. One difference from the TL transmission is the addition of the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system to further enhance shift smoothness by momentarily closing the throttle (reducing torque) at shift points.

Because the transmission shares idler and third-gear clutches, the transmission provides five ratios in a unit approximately the same size of a conventional 4-speed automatic transmission. The transmission also incorporates a first gear one-way clutch for smoother shifts, plus a heat exchanger that controls and moderates transmission operating temperatures for both durability and improved shifting smoothness.

Linear solenoids provide precise, real-time control of the clutch on/off pressure. This superior clutch-engagement accuracy allows the grade logic control to operate smoothly under all conditions. For added refinement, a bearing supports the idler shaft.

To manage overall powertrain operation, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) provides precise management of the transmission-engine interaction. For instance, by limiting engine output torque and/or transmission clutch pressure, hard driveline shocks are limited. The system also prevents the engine from exceeding 5000 rpm when the transmission is in neutral or park. It also has an upgraded grade logic control system similar to the one in the 5-speed automatic transmission for 4-cylinder engines.

LBJGH, May 12, 2004
Ask a Question