91 Honda Civic Overheating...

Discussion in 'Civic' started by Atticus, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Atticus

Atticus Guest

I bought my '91 Honda Civic DX a year ago. It has high miles (184000+) and was running fine. Until about 6 months ago. It started to heat up and then cool down. I realized the rad was quite rusty. So I was driving to get it fixed and "Blamm-O!" head gasket blew. I had it towed to my bro's house. Went and bought a new head gasket and started our work. Got the new gasket on and put it back together. Ran fine for a month. Then, it started the hot/cold crap again. I thought maybe I would change the thermostat. I did. I also added coolant. It was fine....... But only for a couple months. Again...the hot/cold temp garbage. It is highly erratic. I think, maybe, because of the fact that "we" changed it ourselves, that there maybe a small leak. Especially after finding this forum thread:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cars/msg0300160718633.html

Everything was done to spec. But something just seems to be wrong. I don't know. The rad is new, water pump is fine, new thermostat. and fans come on. Any suggestions for me?

Atticus, Feb 25, 2004
  2. Then, it started the hot/cold crap again.

Did you have the head serviced when you did the gasket? Could be the head is
    warped, or there's a crack in it thats letting exhaust gas into the water
    jacket.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS, Feb 26, 2004
  3. ============

Maybe this is too basic, but here's some suggestions. Any time you have
    a fluctuating temp guage, you should shut off the engine (let it cool)
    and check the coolant level in the rad, and top it up in the rad and
    also the expansion tank. Next morning, you should check the level before
    you start the engine.

Any time you work on the cooling system you should check the coolant
    level EACH time you go to use the car because it 'burps' out some air
    after it's been worked on. It may also have leaks that will manifest in
    low coolant level.

Hondas don't run well without coolant. As they get older, they require
    just a little more vigilance to prevent catastrophe.

'Curly'

'Curly Q. Links', Feb 26, 2004
  4. I don't know of ANY liquid cooled engine that runs well without coolant ...

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Atticus

Atticus Guest

Thanx guys. The thing I don't understand is the car isn't loosing any performance. No pinging, like the first time when the car overheated. My bro had a haynes manual and said he did the tests to see if the head was warped as explained in the book. (I have no idea what that includes.)
    anyone think it might be a problem with the Temp Sending Unit? Also, I don't get why after evertime I change the thermostat it's fine for a few months. I'm going crazy. I don't have the $$ the continue fixing this car. I may just get rid of it.

Atticus, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Atticus

Atticus Guest

Thanx guys. The thing I don't understand is the car isn't loosing any performance. No pinging, like the first time when the car overheated. My bro had a haynes manual and said he did the tests to see if the head was warped as explained in the book. (I have no idea what that includes.)
    anyone think it might be a problem with the Temp Sending Unit? Also, I don't get why after evertime I change the thermostat it's fine for a few months. I'm going crazy. I don't have the $$ the continue fixing this car. I may just get rid of it.

Atticus, Feb 26, 2004
  7. Atticus

electricked Guest

Try replacing the radiator cap and if you haven't done so already (I replace
    mine everytime I change coolant. it's cheap a few dollars). Anyway, if you
    know what you are doing test the temperature sending unit of the cooling
    system. On mine, it's located on top of the thermostat housing (98 accord).
    If the car is not overheating but the temp sending unit show it is, it
    should be fine after it's been replaced.

If you can't find the TSU, do some googling and try to find its location. In
    the meantime check in here, you'll probably get more advice.

--Viktor

performance. No pinging, like the first time when the car overheated. My bro
    had a haynes manual and said he did the tests to see if the head was warped
    as explained in the book. (I have no idea what that includes.)
    don't get why after evertime I change the thermostat it's fine for a few
    months. I'm going crazy. I don't have the $$ the continue fixing this car. I
    may just get rid of it.

electricked, Feb 26, 2004
Ask a Question