tailpipe wont come off 91 civic -- tuffy's gouging

Discussion in 'Civic' started by Elan 7e Owner, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Hi guys,

Problem in short:
    91 civic STD 3DR-hatchback 1.5L MT
    The tailpipe is badly rusted on my car, no noises yet, but state inspector
    reccomended replacing. But is it welded on (tuffy's muffler job)? Or is it just
    rusted tight? I tried for an hour, alternating WD-40 ,hammering, pulling, but it
    wont come off and I was afraid of damaging the muffler. My hammer even broke its
    wooden handle, but the pipe is still attached. I took the clamp off but do they
    punch it to the muffler in some way? I have a new pipe of the same shape as the
    old one ready to go in. The muffler is new.
    Any tips to get it off is appreciated. And also how should I put the new one in?
    any sealing required?

Detail:

State inspection failed on exhaust. Muffler bad. Was installed last year by
    Tuffy's. I think they use the cheapest possible type that lasts for only an
    year. Anyway I took it back for lifetime warranty thinking thats no cost to me.
    They call me later with an estimate of $80 . I say why? And they say yea muffler
    is free, but the tailpipe is not included, and somehow added some shit together
    to make it $80 FOR JUST THE TAILPIPE. (including a price of $25 on the
    tailpipe) Can you imagine? I checked my last bill from an year ago when they put
    in the muffler and the tailpipe was listed as costing $13. I asked him about
    that and he said prices rise. I said they rise yes, but do they double every
    year? Ass.
    I said ok dont put the tailpipe in, leave the old one on, I dont want to pay you
    anything. I will put it in myself. And he reluctantly agreed. Car runs fine on
    old tailpipe, without any wierd noises too.
    I bought a new tailpipe from Advance Auto for $4.77. But when I tried to take
    out my old tailpipe, it wont come out. I have it somewhat loose now, but its
    still stuck. Looks like the mechanic welded it on or something to give me a hard
    time. Anyways I dont have a torch or anything to cut it or weld, and I want to
    avoid cutting it anway.
    Also assuming that I put the new one in, how should I do it? No auto repair book
    talks about this job at all, and I am clueless about how to attach the pipe
    securely. I mean I assume the U clamp is not going to be good enough by itself?
    Leakage?

Thanks a lot!
    Ak

Elan 7e Owner, Jul 18, 2003
  2. .. I took the clamp off but do they
    And both the tailpipe and the muffler exit pipe are now deformed, securing
    them together.

itself?

See above. Looks pretty darn effective to me.

Stephen Bigelow, Jul 18, 2003
  3. Elan 7e Owner

Uncle Mike Guest

If you successfully got the clamp off and it refuses to
    budge, it's rusted on. At this point any muffler shop would
    tell you this and then try to sell you a muffler too. i had a
    beater were i cut off the rusted portion and cut the new piece
    too, I "sleeved" the 2 pieces with another and 2 clamps.

Uncle Mike, Jul 18, 2003
Ask a Question